The history of Taekwondo is still quite young and only goes back to the beginning…
Kung Fu is now widespread worldwide and those interested can choose between a wide range of schools and training courses. So that you can clarify the most important questions in advance, we provide tips on training and the graduation system, i.e. the colors of the belts or sashes and what progress they mean.
The most important things in 30 seconds:
- In Kung Fu, a suit and a colored sash (which indicates the level of training) are worn.
- In the examinations for the next higher sash, techniques, theory and weapons as well as combat elements are assessed.
- Further accessories for Kung Fu are melee weapons, such as rattan sticks or nunchucks.
Equipment for kung fu training
You will usually wear a comfortable one during exercise suit. It should completely cover your arms and legs. Usually the suit is black or white, but there are also red or orange suits. In Kung Fu, the suit is closed without a belt – in contrast to other martial arts. That is why it usually has clasps. It is also decorated with complex embroidery. The uniform is made of light, flexible shoes Completed in cotton or canvas. They protect your feet during competitions and training. The Shaolin monks also have white socks on which they wrap with leg ties.
Depending on the training goal and orientation, you can also weapons be used in Kung Fu. The Chinese sword is likely to be the most popular. It has two sharp edges and is hard, but still flexible. This ensures that it cannot break during a fight. The sword serves as a stabbing and cutting weapon at the same time. Another typical weapon for Kung Fu is that Three-storey. It consists of three wooden links connected to one another and is particularly suitable for quick turns. However, the risk of injury is very high and the three-stick is considered a weapon with a high risk factor, which is why it is not allowed in Germany. In addition, the long stick is used in Kung Fu. This is a Wooden stick, which was used by Japanese farmers as an inconspicuous weapon to defend themselves while traveling. Just like with the three-pole, the long pole is particularly effective with fast movements, because strong centrifugal forces develop.
Kung Fu belt colors
There is no uniform grading system in the traditional Kung Fu styles and schools. Nevertheless, more and more Kung Fu schools are running Graduation systems for students according to the following pattern:
|Student grades||Belt color|
|1st student grade||White sash|
|2nd student grade||Yellow sash|
|3rd student grade||Orange sash|
|4. Student grade||Green sash|
|5th student grade||Violet sash|
|6. Student grade||Blue sash|
|7. Student grade||Brown sash|
|8. Student grade||Red sash|
|9th student grade||Black sash|
In addition, there are often those Master degreeswhich are structured in five steps. Depending on your graduation, you are bound to other requirements:
|Master degrees||Temporal rule
|1st master degree||must be passed no later than 12 months after the exam for the black sash|
|2. Master’s degree||Can be achieved after a further 24 months|
|3rd master’s degree||Can be achieved after another 36 months|
|4th master degree||Can be achieved after another 48 months|
|5th master degree||Can be achieved after another 60 months|
Each further graduation is only awarded if the aim is to pass on the art sufficiently. Depending on the style and school, there may be other internal requirements for reaching the pupil and master’s degree.
Kung Fu Training & Techniques
For the practice of Kung Fu are a stable stand and Step sequences very important. Often will taught several sequencesthat both as attack as well as for defense can be exercised.
- For example, the pose called “the crane“. It is also performed in karate and forms the basis for kicks and jumps.
- In addition to the basic attitudes, it is important that the philosophical concepts internalized. Meditation is therefore just as much a focus in Kung Fu as the slow and constant increases in practice. It shouldn’t happen in an uncontrolled manner or abruptly.
- Also humility is an important basic stance of the fighter during training. Ideally, Kung Fu practice should begin as a child and continue humbly and without interruption for a lifetime.
- Furthermore, play in traditional Kung Fu der Lifestyle and everyday habits a very important role. As with yoga, the students should eat a vegetarian diet and avoid excesses and alcohol. In addition, all traditions and processes that are learned during the training must remain unchanged and be respected by all students.
In the following video you can watch a “Kung Fu Bootcamp” and get an insight into the everyday training of young monks: