Self-defense is often more of an issue with adults, and some believe that martial arts is unsuitable for children. But especially children – without practice – are not able to defend themselves and are therefore exposed to dangers without protection. It is precisely for this reason that children should be taught principles of self-defense.
The most important things in 30 seconds:
- In principle, self-defense for children is first about recognizing one danger, the Escape to take and Help to call.
- Anyone is generally suitable for becoming physically and physically stronger Martial arts for children.
- The extended one is just as important Self-confidencewhich the children can build up through martial arts.
- weapons are not suitable for children. Children are not only overwhelmed with this, it usually even harbors an additional risk.
Read the following post for what Children about self defense should know and how dangerous situations can be avoided.
Can children defend themselves?
Every child, regardless of their age, can defend themselves in a certain way.
Defense for children:
- Sometimes just one is enough to recognize existing danger. Here parents should discuss typical dangerous situations with their offspring (e.g. being approached by a stranger, traveling alone, etc.)
- In addition, the To take flight. Here you could, for example, walk the way to school with the child and discuss suitable and unsuitable paths.
- And loud around Help to call. It starts with a scream, speaking to passers-by or, of course, with the phone.
At the incapacitating an attacker however, it looks a little more complicated. This method has a certain physical strength that children do not yet have because they lack weight on the one hand and muscle mass on the other. Thus it is almost impossible for a child to successfully defend himself against an adult.
Still is can take part in a self-defense course or do not harm a martial arts – even if this only results in a moment of surprise and time advantage.
Do martial arts make sense for children?
Even if it takes a certain amount of physical strength to prevail against an adult, taking part in martial arts training for children brings benefits in many ways numerous advantages.
- You strengthen her Teamwork. They can use the team spirit they have learned in a martial arts throughout their entire career. Companies require their applicants to be able to work in a team.
- Furthermore, the children improve theirs Condition. They are in better physical condition than their peers who do not do any sport – which is also important for a possible escape.
- The workout is moreover empowering her heart and their inner ones Organ. This in turn has a positive effect on her immune system out. Children who practice martial arts are definitely less prone to bothersome infectious diseases.
- In martial arts training, the children also train theirs agility. Your muscles and tendons are stronger and more supple.
- In addition, children learn important things Defense Techniquesthat you can use sooner or later in the course of an emergency.
Which martial arts is best?
The question about the right martial arts for children can be answered very easily: Every martial art makes sense for children.
- Judo for children: Im Judo learn the fall school and can apply what you have learned in the event of an impending fall. In addition, they learn effective defense techniques when an attacker gets extremely close. You can use a hip throwing technique after a while. To do this, however, they need a certain size and strength.
- Karate for children: Im Karate In turn, children learn effective punches and kicks. In addition, they not only get to know the term “discipline”, but also how to apply it.
- Taekwondo for children: Im Tae-Kwon-Do As in karate, children learn sensible foot and hand techniques. They also practice fighting there regularly.
- Kickboxing for children: even when Kickboxing the children improve their technique and agility. Even if competitions are of course not yet suitable.
- Other martial arts: Also Kung-Fu, Krav Maga, Jiu Jitsu, Tae Bo promotes the ability to concentrate and agility. In addition, the children improve their stamina and they learn to fight in this martial arts. You can use this in reality from a certain age and a certain size.
Is it worth using guns for children?
No – children should refrain from using weapons for safety reasons, because this increases the risk of improper use. The little ones could abuse these against their innocent peers. In addition, the attacker can take the weapon from the child and point it at the child. Because of his physical superiority, he would have more success with the weapon than the child who has it with him.
- From what age weapons may be wielded is generally not that easy to answer. Many are only available for sale from the age of 18. There is (paradoxically) no minimum age for defense spray for animal defense. In addition, the statutory provisions must be taken into account.
- What if the attacker is armed? If you have trained in self-defense or a martial art for several years, you can use the techniques against an adult. Numerous martial arts include effective defense techniques against attacks with weapons.
- Alarms to draw attention to yourself: Shrill alarms have proven to be successful weapons for self-defense in practice.
The child should be properly informed about the use of the weapon entrusted to him. Furthermore, the use of a weapon also requires regular practice. The child cannot use the device unless they use it in the event of an attack. The same principle applies to the use of weapons as in martial arts: Practice makes perfect.
Dangers from sexual assault
The number of sexual assaults on children is falling, with 14,410 reported cases in 2018. The number of unreported cases is of course higher and each case is too many. The number of unreported cases (i.e. the number of actual incidents) is significantly higher – and is measured at 300,000. In addition, girls are significantly more likely to be victims of attacks than boys. The quota here is 1: 9. Read more about the statistical data here.
Measures in case of emergency
If a child gets into a dangerous situation or comes into contact with an untrustworthy person and has to flee, this case must be prepared accordingly.
Emergency – report to whom?
Parents should always give their children (if they don’t already have a cell phone) Coins or give them a phone card so that they can contact you in an emergency. Furthermore, children have good memories because they can be numerous Phone numbers remember better than adults.
- It is therefore worth teaching them the landline and mobile phone numbers of their parents at an early stage.
- They should also know the police emergency number.
Self-confidence – a natural protection
Self-confidence can be acquired through success, martial arts, praise or even in dedicated self-defense training.
- Parents who enroll their children in a martial arts school help their offspring construction a good self-confidence.
- Looking for pedophiles Victim, no brave children and do not engage in a discussion with a screaming child, but are the ones who then inevitably flee.
Avoid dangerous situations
The following points can help so that children do not get into a dangerous situation in the first place.
The way home & frequent dangerous situations
- Parents should regularly memorize children from school immediately way home to strike.
- They could ask about this from their children, always in small amounts groups to go to school.
- Darkness and unsafe areas are generally to be avoided.
This task must be done by the legal guardian. It is their duty to teach their offspring to protect themselves against possible attacks and to recognize dangerous situations.
Learning to deal with strangers
If necessary, children can also help others Address adults with children and use it as an escape route. In general, they should learn to trust people with uniforms such as police officers or postmen.
- Experts advise parents and their children on the subject of “Strangers“Only to be treated when they come to school and are therefore on their own. In younger children, realistic role-playing games could unnecessarily trigger fears.
- Meanwhile, numerous parents also use password. If a stranger approaches them and says they should go with them today, the children ask for the password. If the stranger does not know, which is usually the case, the child recognizes the dangerous situation and does not go with you.
- Even the sentence: “Your parents said you should come with me” should set the alarm bells ringing for children.
Traveling alone & behavior
When traveling unaccompanied, a child should use paths and streets that heavily attended are. Children have a seventh sense and usually sense when someone is acting suspiciously towards them. Therefore, after realizing this, they should either run away or shout for help. Furthermore, a child should never be alone in a playground.
Caring parents can also make a significant contribution to the safety of their children. This includes, among other things regular pick-up and drop-off to the sport. Parents should pick up their children, especially in winter when it gets dark quite early. In addition, it is worth creating Carpooling, so the adults can take turns driving the children home.
Defense for children
Also, martial arts experts advise the children on the subject To raise awareness of self-defense. Children should be made aware of this early enough. You need to know about the possibilities of self-defense. On the one hand, this strengthens their self-confidence; on the other hand, it is clear to them that they by no means have to accept the role of victim because they are children.
Numerous schools, adult education centers and sports clubs offer Self-defense courses for children at. There are also special parent-child courses. The subject of self-defense is important and parents should discuss this with their children and, if possible, live it out with the help of a course or a martial arts. It is not enough to impress children with the phrase “Don’t go with strangers”.
Conclusion: sensitize but not frighten
There is a fine line between creating fear and sensitizing the children. Therefore, the whole thing can only be done gradually.
- Small children must be better protected and introduced to dangers and correct behavior in a playful way.
- With increasing age children can also be informed about the impending dangers.
It is also worthwhile to talk to other parents and to seek common interaction to discuss with the topic. This reduces the dangers and protects the children well.